We originally got this recipe (Steak and Zucchini Gyros) from the meal service Plated. We love Plated and used it a few times when we had busy weeks and knew we wouldn’t have a lot of time in the kitchen. We bought cucumber instead of zucchini by mistake this last time and we actually enjoyed it more than zucchini, so that’s the version I am posting! 🙂
2 cloves garlic
1/5 bunch basil
1 sprig oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
1 cup grape tomatoes
10 ounces flank steak (or stir fry sirloin already cut in the store)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 pieces na’an or 2 pita pockets (we use whole wheat)
2 Tbsp pesto
1. Mince garlic. Rinse basil and oregano. Roughly chop leaves, discarding stems. Rinse grape tomatoes and halve. Rinse cucumber, quarter lengthwise, and cut into 1 inch pieces. Halve lemon.
2. In large re sealable plastic bag, combine garlic, basil, oregano, juice of 1/2 lemon, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add steak and shake to coat. Set aside to marinate at room temp for 15 mins or longer/overnight in fridge.
3. Warm na’an or pita on clean, dry skillet. Cook until slightly golden and warmed through.
4. Heat skillet to medium high heat. When pan is smoking, add steak and cook until browned on outside and medium or medium-rare. *if using already cut pieces of steak, it only takes about 1 min 30 seconds to cook. Pull pan off the heat and it will continue to cook a bit.
5. Assemble gyros! Fill with steak, cucumber, tomatoes, and feta. Eat!